Our take on the Niles C5-VA2WM
If you're putting together a multi-room audio/video system that involves longer cable runs between rooms, check out the Niles C5-VA2WM. This clever device uses durable, inexpensive CAT-5 cable to send standard-definition composite video and stereo audio signals to another room in your house. Plus, it installs neatly in your wall for a décor-friendly look.
The 'VA2WM is a great option for homes with an existing CAT-5 network, since you won't have to install any new in-wall wire. And it delivers full, clear sound and crisp video, even over cable runs of up to 2,200 feet.
How it works
You'll need to purchase two matching baluns to set up a fully functioning system. You can use two C5-VA2WMs, or pair one with a
small component-style model. Installation is straightforward just connect them both to in-wall CAT-5 cable, then mount them into your wall. Place one in your main room, and connect a cable box, DVD player or other audio/video source. Install the other in your remote room. Then hook it up to a TV or A/V receiver via its composite video and stereo audio jacks. Now you can send audio and video from your main room to your secondary room.
What is a balun?
A balun gets its name by converting signals between balanced and unbalanced lines. Balanced cables can carry signals over much larger distances than unbalanced lines, because of their superior noise rejection. The C5-VA2WM balun converts composite video and stereo audio signals between balanced CAT-5 connections and unbalanced RCA connections.
- two Niles stereo audio and composite video baluns required for a fully functioning setup
- gold-plated composite video and stereo audio inputs/outputs
- shielded Ethernet jack
- maximum range: 2,200 feet
- video bandwidth: 10 MHz
- audio bandwidth: 20-20,000 Hz
- not compatible with Wi-Fi® adapters
- cannot share CAT-5 cable with other signals
- fits standard single-gang junction box
- composite video and stereo audio cables required for installation (sold separately)
- 1-13/16"W x 2-15/16"H x 2-9/16"D
- warranty: 10 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee